Welcome to Rideroom, an online automotive community where you can discuss all things related to cars, trucks, motorcycles or any other vehicle you may have.

To gain full access to Rideroom you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Create a Rideroom to showcase your cars, trucks and motorcycles on the main Rideroom site.
  • Give "Props" to rides you like
  • Start a Rideroom Group for your car/truck/bike club
  • Post comments on rides and news stories.
  • Post and reply to topics in the forum
  • Communicate privately with other automotive enthusiasts (PM) on the forum
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

Go Back   Rideroom Forums > General > Articles
FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Unread 08-15-2007, 09:52 PM
STOP EATING MY SESAME CAKE!

I've got Banish's book, and it's pretty good as an overview. I didn't learn too much that I didn't already know, but it's a good summary. Greg frequents the SCT forums, as well as Corner-Carvers, and he seems like a pretty good guy. His basic point is a sound one: Get the fundamentals of air and fuel modeled properly so the rest of the calculations fall into place. It's basically the same as what I've said: Even if the fueling is correct, if the load calculation isn't right, nothing else will be.

Banish knows his stuff.

The main thing that I think I learned from the LaSota CD was how to rough-in the MAF calibration. I like to use an adaptation of that technique when I make big changes.

I agree that it's a good idea to learn the EEC's behavior by studying datalogs, and I think that the intimidation factor of Advantage can actually be a good thing since it forces you to approach things a little bit at a time. If you're totally inexperienced, you probably shouldn't be attempting to tune a very heavily modified engine in the first place; it's better to start by making incremental tweaks to something that runs reasonably well in the first place.

Advantage 3.x is much better than the 2.9x series. Some of the added features are nice, but I mainly like the way that it uses a USB dongle instead of a Windows Product Activation style machine hash lock. Nothing like replacing a laptop hard drive and being unable to use your software.
On our way back from the beach, we were trying to decide where to eat dinner. At that moment, we were passed by a Rendezvous with the Ohio license plate "ASK GOD." So we did, and we ended up at some shitty Texas roadhouse-style place. Next time, I pick.--AchTTung
Unread 08-16-2007, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pontisteve
great stuff
Nice review, man - I'm sure your post is going to come in handy quite soon

And lemming, if all of a sudden my car isn't running worth a damn and I can't figure out why - I'm sending you the logs

By the way, I'm afraid of diving right in because I feel there's a possibility I might render my car useless. My XCal2 sometimes acts like it needs to be unlocked or says it's on the wrong car or something. Is this common, and is there something you can do in the tuning software to fix it? I know that the few times it has happened in the past that I have indeed been able to fix it myself, but It is still a pain in the ass.
Unread 08-16-2007, 01:15 AM

It says it needs to be unlocked when you're doing what? You should never have to unlock the unit unless you are switching cars, and you can only remove the vehicle lock a finite number of times. What firmware revision are you using?
On our way back from the beach, we were trying to decide where to eat dinner. At that moment, we were passed by a Rendezvous with the Ohio license plate "ASK GOD." So we did, and we ended up at some shitty Texas roadhouse-style place. Next time, I pick.--AchTTung
Unread 08-16-2007, 10:47 AM

It says it was the wrong car or something when I was swapping tunes and such, and it has done this on at least 2 occasions... maybe 3. It was a long time ago, so it is pretty hard to remember exactly, but I went to SCT's website to figure out how to fix it, and they told me on their forum to go through some steps with that software on my laptop and unlock it. What happens then when you've removed the lock so many times? Also, I don't know what firmware it is, I suppose I'll check that out later and report back.
Unread 08-16-2007, 03:47 PM

You can only remove the lock so many times before you have to send it to SCT and have them reset it.
Unread 08-16-2007, 03:49 PM

I hope they don't charge for that when it's clearly an error with their tool!
Unread 08-16-2007, 03:54 PM

They usually charge.
Unread 08-16-2007, 03:55 PM

Frackers! I'm going to have to do something about that, then. You don't happen to know what they charge for it, do you?
Unread 08-16-2007, 04:06 PM

Not offhand. I think there's a way to check the device to see how many unlocks you've got remaining.
Unread 08-18-2007, 08:38 AM

What worrys me about my XFI is the turbo tuning. It has boost referenced corrections, but what do you do with the second part of the map? Lets face it, at 4k rpms and 50% throttle I'll be in boost. That eliminates most of my blocks. Do I set all of the blocks to a set number and let the corrections take over?