Well last weekend I installed the 1000watt inverter, but it just wasn't up to my standards. I had bought a 4AWG amp wiring kit from Best Buy, and it worked-but wasn't 'quality'.
With all my experience with doing various installs on cars, I couldn't let myself leave the cables bare like that. So, I hitup home depot and bought a bunch of wire loom.
When I did the first install, I just drilled a half inch hole in the firewall (through a plastic plate), and left it at that. I had bought a grommet, but it just didn't fit right. Well, this time, I tried again. Here is the one inch hole that I put in there:
and here is an under dash view of the same hole
We whipped out the dremel and a wire brush bit, and cleaned up a nice spot for a ground. That picture didn't quite turn out. My goal was to keep things looking as stock as possible under the hood, which is part of why I wanted the loom. Looking under there and seeing a bright ass cable running across the engine bay just didn't seem right to me. So, now it blends a LITTLE better. The giant pink fuse doesn't help much though.
So now we have the inverter half tucked under the rear seat. We can still BARELY reach back to turn it on and off. Next week I might extend the power switch up into my console or something.
The inverter is used to power our battery chargers and laptop. It was getting to the point where we had the entire floorboard of the truck a cluster of wires and chargers, so yesterday we managed to squeeze them into the storage boxes behind the rear seats.
If there aren't any batteries in the chargers, the door closes and covers the chargers, and we have the flush storage area behind the seats still. It was pretty much win-win for us, asthose storage boxes have been empty since we bought the truck.