Welcome to Rideroom, an online automotive community where you can discuss all things related to cars, trucks, motorcycles or any other vehicle you may have.

To gain full access to Rideroom you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Create a Rideroom to showcase your cars, trucks and motorcycles on the main Rideroom site.
  • Give "Props" to rides you like
  • Start a Rideroom Group for your car/truck/bike club
  • Post comments on rides and news stories.
  • Post and reply to topics in the forum
  • Communicate privately with other automotive enthusiasts (PM) on the forum
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

Go Back   Rideroom Forums > General > Articles
FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Unread 07-06-2008, 09:57 PM

I spent the weekend stripping the remaining parts off my Miata. It goes to the scrap yard tomorrow. It'll be nice to be able to walk around the garage without constantly tripping over stuff.

Unread 09-16-2008, 10:37 PM

I just realized I haven't updated this thread in a while. I've been really busy lately, so I haven't been working on the car as much as I'd like, and when I have been, I haven't been taking pictures. Here's a list of most of what I've done since the last update:
Engine, transmission and shortened propshaft are installed
Hand brake is installed
Most of the wiring has been temporarily fitted
ECU and ABS controller are installed
Radiator, fan, horns (Miata horn and 139dB airhorn), airflow sensor, etc. are installed
Main bodywork piece and roll bar are temporarily installed

I'm currently in the middle of fitting the bodywork, being really careful to make sure everything lines up and trying to make sure I don't drill any holes in the wrong places. The next thing after that is to determine final placement of the ABS actuator and route the front brake lines.

Unread 04-12-2009, 10:05 PM

Thread Resurrection

I finally made some more progress on the Westfield. It's been more or less on hold for the last 6 months, since I haven't had much free time.

I have now riveted on the main body section. This weekend I finished all the wiring in the rear of the car, mounted the spare tire, made a license plate holder, and installed the gas cap and seat belts.

I also installed the windscreen and mirrors.

I also got up the nerve to drill a 3" hole in the side of the body so I could install the exhaust.

Since the last update, I also installed the ABS actuator and finished routing the brake lines. The next big step is to finish routing this mess of wires and figure out what I'm going to do with the dashboard.
Unread 04-17-2009, 09:55 PM

It's (sort of) alive! I added all the fluids today and finished wiring the engine bay, so tonight I decided to connect a battery and try to start it. After a few tries, it started, but it keeps shutting off about a second after I release the key.

My best guess right now is that the fuel pump is only turning on when the key is in the start position. Hopefully I can get that sorted out tomorrow when I get back from the rallycross.
Unread 04-20-2009, 07:48 PM

It is now running. I spent yesterday troubleshooting and the problem turned out to be a bad ignition module which wasn't sending the tach signal back to the ECU. Everything looks good. There are no fluid leaks, the exhaust sounds great, and I didn't screw up the clutch job. It also revs a lot faster with the aluminum flywheel.

Now it's time to wire up the dashboard and start on the interior.
Unread 04-20-2009, 08:05 PM
Super Moderator

Nice.

BB.
"The first step towards gaining self confidence is not being afraid to suck."
Unread 05-05-2009, 04:38 PM

Angry

Well, the car is complete enough to be registered and driven, but I'm having trouble finding a competent police officer to sign off on my paperwork. To register a kit car in Michigan, you have to have a police officer fill out an equipment inspection form, which should be easy, because he just has to check the lights, horn, windshield wipers/washers, brakes, seat belts, mirror, tires, exhaust, and bumpers.

Here's how the process has gone for me:
Monday (4/25): Called the local police station after work (after the office closed), and the phone system tells me to call a different number. I called the second number, which told me to call the first one again, putting me in an endless loop.

Tuesday: Call again, they send a police officer out. Everything is good until he gets to the bumpers. He is convinced that "bumpers" on the form meant crumple zones. He won't sign off because the fiberglass "won't protect the passengers in a crash over 45 mph." He doesn't have the relevant federal/state regulations on him, and won't let me find them on the Internet before he leaves.

Wednesday: I print off the federal and state bumper regulations and verify that the car meets them. I stop by the police station and they say they'll send someone out, but no one shows up.

Thursday: The guy they send out isn't familiar with bumper regulations, so I show him the documents I've printed out. He reads about half-way through, then says that he doesn't want to sign the form because he hasn't been trained for vehicle inspections and the car "looks different" from most cars on the road. He tells me to have another local officer sent out or try the state police.

Friday: I leave work a couple hours early and call the state police; they tell me that they have one guy who does inspections and he leaves work at 2:00pm, so I try the city police again. This time the officer tells me that no one at the city police can fill out the form, since they don't have the necessary training.

Yesterday: Called the state police a couple times. The guy who does inspections is apparently never in the office, and he doesn't return my calls.

Today: Still no response from the state police. I call up the county sheriff to see if I can set up an appointment for tomorrow. The guy yells at me for calling too close to closing time and tells me to call back in the morning.
Unread 05-05-2009, 06:14 PM
Super Moderator

Annoying...

BB.
"The first step towards gaining self confidence is not being afraid to suck."
Unread 05-05-2009, 06:53 PM

You have to grease the wheels of justice.
Unread 05-05-2009, 09:15 PM

Why register it at all?