Welcome to Rideroom, an online automotive community where you can discuss all things related to cars, trucks, motorcycles or any other vehicle you may have.

To gain full access to Rideroom you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Create a Rideroom to showcase your cars, trucks and motorcycles on the main Rideroom site.
  • Give "Props" to rides you like
  • Start a Rideroom Group for your car/truck/bike club
  • Post comments on rides and news stories.
  • Post and reply to topics in the forum
  • Communicate privately with other automotive enthusiasts (PM) on the forum
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

Go Back   Rideroom Forums > General > Articles
FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Unread 05-24-2008, 07:42 PM

I finally finished pulling the drivetrain out of the Miata last weekend. Today, I put in a new clutch and installed an aluminum flywheel (9.5lbs. versus ~18.5 for the stock one). Tomorrow I plan to replace the water pump, timing belt, alternator belt, some hoses, and fix my non-functioning neutral switch.

The project will probably be on hold for awhile now while I wait for some missing parts. I'm waiting for a couple bushings for my differential mount, and I just noticed today that I am missing my passenger side engine mount.
Unread 05-24-2008, 07:54 PM

Nevermind about the engine mount, I just found it. Maybe I'll be able to get the engine in next weekend.
Unread 06-03-2008, 07:02 PM

I got my new wheel/tire set from Tirerack today. 15x7 BBS RG-F wheels with 195/50ZR15W Hankook Ventus R-S2 tires.
The wheels are about half the weight of the Miata wheels, even though they are an inch larger diameter and an inch and a half wider.
I plan to put a set of snow tires on the Miata wheels and use those in the winter.

Unread 06-07-2008, 10:50 AM

Best thread in the forum.
Unread 06-07-2008, 10:51 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usher
The wheels are about half the weight of the Miata wheels,
Dems really light, considering what Miata wheels weigh!

BB.
"The first step towards gaining self confidence is not being afraid to suck."
Unread 06-07-2008, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerBurner View Post
Dems really light, considering what Miata wheels weigh!

BB.
Oops, I was looking at the Miata steel wheel weight when I wrote that. The BBS wheels are 4/5 the weight of the alloy Miata wheels. Still pretty light, though.
Unread 06-08-2008, 07:37 AM
Super Moderator

Still, even if it's just close to the stock alloy weight, that's pretty impressive. Especially since you're dealing with wheels that are wider than the 14x5.5/6. Hell, I enjoy annoying my 928 roommate by telling him that both my BBS and Kosei wheels have added unsprung weight versus the stock daisies by tipping the scales at a whopping 14.5 pounds each!

BB.
"The first step towards gaining self confidence is not being afraid to suck."
Unread 06-24-2008, 09:21 PM

After several delays waiting for some odd sized bolts Westfield forgot to send and a trip to Europe for work, I finally made some more progress on the car.
The suspension is now finished, and the rear differential and brake hardware (minus front brake hard lines and ABS actuator) are installed.

I did a trial fit of the engine today. Like a couple of the other kits, my motor mounts are not quite lined up correctly. I'm going to have to move the driver's side mount about an inch forward to get the engine to line up right. I also need to fab a little metal plate for the transmission mount, since I am missing it. After I get that done, I expect the build to start going more quickly.

Unread 06-25-2008, 12:21 AM
Oil Burner

How wide is the passenger compartment? Is it really as narrow as it looks or does it just seem that way from the pic?

nice pics regardless.
Unread 06-25-2008, 06:50 AM

It's really as narrow as it looks. The passenger's side is an inch or two wider than the driver's side. The kit was originally developed for right-hand drive, and they wanted to give the driver more room in that configuration.