Welcome to Rideroom, an online automotive community where you can discuss all things related to cars, trucks, motorcycles or any other vehicle you may have.

To gain full access to Rideroom you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Create a Rideroom to showcase your cars, trucks and motorcycles on the main Rideroom site.
  • Give "Props" to rides you like
  • Start a Rideroom Group for your car/truck/bike club
  • Post comments on rides and news stories.
  • Post and reply to topics in the forum
  • Communicate privately with other automotive enthusiasts (PM) on the forum
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

Go Back   Rideroom Forums > General > Articles
FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Unread 05-09-2008, 08:32 AM
STOP EATING MY SESAME CAKE!

I think low short times are about it, unless you really need to get the engine above 3000-3500 RPM quickly. I had 4.10s in the V6 car at one point (in fact, I think I've still got those gears and the Traction-Lok diff they were installed with in one of my closets), and they worked pretty well when I was NA, because the car really didn't really make very much low-end torque. After I put the supercharger in, it was just comical. I could easily launch up 8% grades in third gear, and couldn't hold traction in second gear when the engine hit its torque peak. Useless, and pretty scary in the rain.

The other point is my intended application. I've got a pair of cars that are intended for a mix of circuit and street use. Since they both still have their stock transmissions, the 3-4-5 ratios are around 1.33, 1.0, and .68. I don't care about how well the car gets rolling in first gear, because I never have to do a fast standing start, and I'd rather not gear the car short enough to make OD useful on the track (because it's going to be unbearable on the highway). So, I use relatively tall gears so I can get the most out of second through fourth gear.

edit: At any rate, the Torsen is in and it's a lot easier to rotate the car now. I like these things.
On our way back from the beach, we were trying to decide where to eat dinner. At that moment, we were passed by a Rendezvous with the Ohio license plate "ASK GOD." So we did, and we ended up at some shitty Texas roadhouse-style place. Next time, I pick.--AchTTung

Last edited by lemming : 05-09-2008 at 09:53 AM.
Unread 05-13-2008, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Geoff
"sewn," you deficient English Nazi.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sown

let's just say..i made that distinction to correct a teacher who gave me an incorrect example sentence to keep myself from being eliminated in a fifth grade spelling bee.

gots the zoom zooms.

Unread 05-13-2008, 10:57 PM

Dudes will pay good money for that extender. Make sure they know it's for a Cobra computer only.
Unread 05-14-2008, 08:33 AM

I'm hanging on to it for now, but I'll probably sell it eventually. I don't really view this type of piggyback device as necessary on a modified engine (which I will eventually have) because various companies have come so far in understanding the EEC and how to program it.
On our way back from the beach, we were trying to decide where to eat dinner. At that moment, we were passed by a Rendezvous with the Ohio license plate "ASK GOD." So we did, and we ended up at some shitty Texas roadhouse-style place. Next time, I pick.--AchTTung

Last edited by lemming : 05-14-2008 at 07:51 PM.
Unread 07-02-2008, 10:18 AM

Well, since the last time I updated this thread, I earned solo privileges with the local driving school. Haven't made any more major changes to the car and probably won't until the off-season unless something breaks. I'm hoping to get in at least another 2-3 lapping days before then.

I've signed up for afternoon lapping on the 14th of July. I hope they'll have a cameraman this time. The guys from Red Mist usually have somebody out there, but they didn't last time I went.

Right now, I want to concentrate only on developing technique. However, I will probably do at least some of the following during the off-season:
1. Wider wheels and tires. Probably 275-285 width all around, still using street compounds. If anyone wants to recommend a good 17x9 (or wider) wheel, I'm open to suggestions.
2. Seat and rollbar.
3. Mo' power. Probably just a head/cam swap on the 302, unless I hurt the engine before that time comes (in which case, I may consider more...creative alternatives).

Last edited by lemming : 07-02-2008 at 10:24 AM.
Unread 07-02-2008, 08:31 PM

Yey! I'll vote for most any rim as long as they don't have a chrome/brushed lip. I'd like to see an expensive BBS style.
Unread 07-02-2008, 09:23 PM

So would I, but considering the application, it is more likely that I would opt for something cheap, but with the appropriate dimensions (so long as it isn't too ridiculously heavy).

Of course, the problem is that the two FMS wheel designs that seem most appropriate both come with brushed metal outer lips. The V6 car was so easy in this regard because the factory '99 Cobra wheel was a perfect match.
Unread 07-15-2008, 08:49 PM

So, I did another lapping day yesterday. I realized I was getting too aggressive and overdriving the car, so I called it a day after one session. Frustration and stupid mistakes are a formula for trouble. However, it was a relatively long (45-50 minute) session, so I don't feel like it was a total waste. The track was hot and my tires were starting to get really greasy. I've just been using the tires that 94ws put on the car at some point, and it seems possible to me that they're starting to cycle out. I have much greater tread depth on the front tires than on the rears (yes, I'm too lazy to rotate them), but the front end of the car seemed to be going "off" just as badly as the rear. I think the car was mostly understeering; although I was getting some brake hop and oversteer I think most of this was attributable to stupidity on my part.

So, I think it's time for the second stage. I'm going to spread this out over a few months (and I may very well get a couple more lapping days in during the interim), but I've pretty much got a "to-do" list for the short term.

1. Get weight off the car. As much as possible. Preferably from the nose. I'll probably ditch the AC compressor and condenser since that system doesn't seem to work very well and I don't use it anyway. I don't want to do the head swap just yet because I can't be trusted with the power, so that'll wait a little while. I should relocate the battery. I will likely at least partially strip the interior, ditch the rear seat, switch to fixed-back seats on manual sliders, and probably get at least a four-point roll bar with harness bar. I probably won't remove any interior panels, but I may remove some of the carpet and sound deadening if there's much weight to be had there. Haven't thought about it much. I think I could afford to stiffen the suspension further, but I don't want to do it until the car is at its desired fighting weight, and somewhat better balanced.

2. Get a spare set of pads and rotors for the front, which does most of the stopping work. I've been using Porterfield R4S pads on the front, and they work fairly well. They don't bite well in the cold, but they're streetable. They bite pretty well once they've got some heat in them, but they seem to have a pretty low limit before their performance begins to deteriorate. They are nowhere near as bad as, say, Hawk HPS, but I was still cooking the front pads pretty badly. I'm OK with losing the rear brakes once stuff gets good and hot, but I want more from the front.

3. Tires. I think I'll still use a street compound, but I should probably get new rubber pretty soon. I will probably go to a wider wheel at the same time.

4. Adjust the stiffness of the rear stabar. I'm using the full-soft setting right now, and I think cranking it up a little will eliminate some understeer. The car doesn't rotate the way I'd like to unless I'm in second gear and hard on the throttle. I would've tried this yesterday, but the way things were going, I figured I'd probably just wind up dropping the car on myself.

5. Maybe do something about that blasted speed limiter. The car runs out of steam right around 110, and that front straight is long enough that I should still be able to accelerate. I shouldn't do this unless I also get better front pads (as I mentioned) because I was having to brake a little early even at that speed.

Last edited by lemming : 07-15-2008 at 08:57 PM.
Unread 07-15-2008, 09:35 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming
2. Get a spare set of pads and rotors for the front, which does most of the stopping work. I've been using Porterfield R4S pads on the front, and they work fairly well. They don't bite well in the cold, but they're streetable. They bite pretty well once they've got some heat in them, but they seem to have a pretty low limit before their performance begins to deteriorate. They are nowhere near as bad as, say, Hawk HPS, but I was still cooking the front pads pretty badly. I'm OK with losing the rear brakes once stuff gets good and hot, but I want more from the front.
Are you thinking of having it as just a spare set or will this be so you can have a street set and a track set? I was considering doing the latter myself but decided that I really dont' want to worry about swapping pads/rotors every time I go to the track so I'm just going to stick with some Carbotech XP8 (I think) which are a mild race pad. I hear they work well enough on the street, although I suppose I may still end up having a more streetable set of brakes to get me through the winter if it becomes a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming
3. Tires. I think I'll still use a street compound, but I should probably get new rubber pretty soon. I will probably go to a wider wheel at the same time.
Honestly, get a good set of R-compounds and be done with it.... assuming, of course, that "street compound" wasn't a vague reference to them. No point having tires that'll get too greasy.

BB.
"The first step towards gaining self confidence is not being afraid to suck."
Unread 07-15-2008, 10:14 PM

Quote:
5. Maybe do something about that blasted speed limiter. The car runs out of steam right around 110, and that front straight is long enough that I should still be able to accelerate. I shouldn't do this unless I also get better front pads (as I mentioned) because I was having to brake a little early even at that speed.
I guarantee you there's no actual speed limiter set to 110, because I've personally had that car up to 120, maybe 125 (though it definitely was taking its time to get there past ~110). Sounds like you just need more power