Welcome to Rideroom, an online automotive community where you can discuss all things related to cars, trucks, motorcycles or any other vehicle you may have.

To gain full access to Rideroom you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Create a Rideroom to showcase your cars, trucks and motorcycles on the main Rideroom site.
  • Give "Props" to rides you like
  • Start a Rideroom Group for your car/truck/bike club
  • Post comments on rides and news stories.
  • Post and reply to topics in the forum
  • Communicate privately with other automotive enthusiasts (PM) on the forum
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

Go Back   Rideroom Forums > General > Articles
FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Unread 03-23-2008, 10:17 PM
STOP EATING MY SESAME CAKE!

Project 1994 Ford Mustang Cobra (Project VISA II)

The seeds of this project were sewn when I took my other car, a heavily modified 2003 V6, to a track day at Pacific Raceways in July 2007. I had a great time, but there were some issues with the car which made me reconsider flogging it in such a way. I eventually decided that it would be a good idea to get a dedicated car--then, I could make alterations that I'd be uncomfortable with in a daily driver. I figured that I wouldn't have much enthusiasm for driving a car with a cage or a gutted interior daily, but that I'd probably want such a thing for track use.

I bought the Cobra from Rideroom member 94whitesnake around September-October of 2007, and immediately commenced modification.

This is covered extensively in another thread, but here are some shots of the build.

As the car currently stands, it's got a whole Maximum Grip box from Maximum Motorsports. Other modifications include a Canton road-race oil pan, longtube headers and a custom exhaust (needed to clear the torque arm cradle and some other stuff), and front brakes from a C5 Corvette. At this time, the engine is basically stock except for some minor bolt-on modifications.

I've already had the car to one track day, and it held up well, aside from some minor issues (which have since been addressed) that would be expected to surface in a severe flogging of an older car. I'll probably go back for more fun in another couple of weeks.

I do have a long term build plan for this car, and will update as progress continues, and as I accrue more track time. Here are the items that will eventually be added or changed:
  • Seat: Change to fixed-back road race seat
  • Safety devices: Add harnesses and at least a roll bar.
  • Drivetrain: Ditch the Traction-Lok and put in a Torsen or similar torque-biasing unit; consider switching to 3.27 or 3.55 gears from the stock 3.08 ratio
  • Wheels/tires: Go to the widest non-staggered setup the car will fit. This will probably be at least 275-40R17 on 17x9 wheels.
  • Engine: If the current shortblock lasts through a few more track days with no complaints, time for a head and cam swap. Else, I'll put in at least a 331.
  • Other: Eventually strip interior and sound deadening stuff from the car. It's got considerable road noise already, so it's not like I'm ruining a luxury car here.
On our way back from the beach, we were trying to decide where to eat dinner. At that moment, we were passed by a Rendezvous with the Ohio license plate "ASK GOD." So we did, and we ended up at some shitty Texas roadhouse-style place. Next time, I pick.--AchTTung

Last edited by lemming : 03-24-2008 at 11:07 AM.
Unread 03-24-2008, 11:07 AM

Quote:
The seeds of this project were sown
"sewn," you deficient English Nazi.

Also, if you're going to swap the diff gears for a higher ratio, make sure drivetrain harmonics aren't an issue for higher speeds. I'm about 98% sure it's not a problem with Mustangs, but I know that on Crown Victorias, they get some wicked vibration from standard steel driveshafts over ~110mph with 3.27 gears, and ~100mph with 3.55 gears.
Unread 03-24-2008, 11:18 AM

Fixed. That's what I get for typing up a pair of long posts in Notepad while somewhat groggy.

I may eventually put an aftermarket aluminum driveshaft in the car. Mustangs have some harmonics issues, but I've had the other one up to 135+ with the standard driveshaft without any real issues. I figure that I should address the way the car puts power down before I add more power to the equation. I don't care for the factory Traction-Lok axle, because its engagement is like an on/off switch, and I feel that it induces some understeer at part throttle. I also need to do something about the rear suspension because it feels too bouncy, for lack of a better word. Even though I've got pretty aggressively valved Bilsteins back there, I think I may be underdamped.
On our way back from the beach, we were trying to decide where to eat dinner. At that moment, we were passed by a Rendezvous with the Ohio license plate "ASK GOD." So we did, and we ended up at some shitty Texas roadhouse-style place. Next time, I pick.--AchTTung
Unread 03-24-2008, 01:43 PM

Torsen diffs are the shit; it'd be a good investment, whenever you get around to it. Also, aluminum metal matrix driveshaft is probably the way to go, unless you want to go Gran Turismo style and find a coveted carbon fiber shaft.
Unread 03-24-2008, 01:51 PM

I have a low-bias Torsen in the other car and I like it a lot better than the Traction-Lok. The Torsen is much trickier in extreme low-traction conditions (read: snow and ice) than a clutch-type LSD, but it's much nicer to drive in more "normal" circumstances. I'll eventually be putting either a Torsen or a Detroit Truetrac (basically the same thing) in the Cobra for consistency's sake. I remember that the V6 car was much easier to rotate on corner exits than the Cobra is.
Unread 03-27-2008, 08:04 AM

28-spline Torsen has been ordered. If it turns out that the axles are badly worn, I'll miss the opportunity to upgrade to 31-spline axles, but I don't really care because it shouldn't matter much for the car's intended application. I'll probably just have them put a set of used 3.27s on it; I don't want too much gear because I'd rather not use overdrive on the track.

Rear suspension is either underdamped, or is hitting the (internal, since the shocks are Bilstein) bump stops. I can probably either reduce the spring rate or switch to an even more aggressively valved shock. I'll have that looked at when I bring the car in to get the differential swapped.
Unread 04-15-2008, 09:01 AM

Over the last weekend, I removed the SVO Extender unit that was piggybacked onto the ECU (and floating around under the passenger's seat), and the car seems to run a lot better. I think it was causing the engine to do funny things (probably due to being much too rich) on open loop transitions.

My Torsen has arrived, so I'll get that installed next week. I'm looking forward to it. Hopefully, we can also figure out what is going on with the rear suspension. If all goes well, I'll probably take it to the track again in May, I think.
Unread 05-09-2008, 07:35 AM

go with at least 3.73's. youll thank yourself later. or even 4:10s
Unread 05-09-2008, 07:37 AM

I actually just wound up putting 3.27s in it, and I'm fine with that. I've owned a car with 4.10s before and I have no desire to repeat that.
Unread 05-09-2008, 08:15 AM

I never fully understood the purpose of putting very short gears in a car with gobs of low-end torque (other than to decrease your 60 foot time while using sticky stick tires)
Wouldn't you want to take advantage of your early powerband? Using all that stump pulling torque to pull through a highway gear HAS to be more useful than bouncing a strangled 5 liter v8 off its redline while you tear through short gears.