Welcome to Rideroom, an online automotive community where you can discuss all things related to cars, trucks, motorcycles or any other vehicle you may have.

To gain full access to Rideroom you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Create a Rideroom to showcase your cars, trucks and motorcycles on the main Rideroom site.
  • Give "Props" to rides you like
  • Start a Rideroom Group for your car/truck/bike club
  • Post comments on rides and news stories.
  • Post and reply to topics in the forum
  • Communicate privately with other automotive enthusiasts (PM) on the forum
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

Go Back   Rideroom Forums > General > Articles
FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Unread 03-21-2010, 06:56 AM
Super Moderator

Yeah, when I opened up the package I was surprised at how big that thing was. Like I said, it may be too big since I sometimes hit the gas when I'm hard on the brakes but it makes heel toeing second nature now.

The red switch is for the fog lights that I no longer have.

BB.
"The first step towards gaining self confidence is not being afraid to suck."
Unread 03-21-2010, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerBurner View Post
Yeah, when I opened up the package I was surprised at how big that thing was.
*snickers*

RIP SPC William McMillan
Unread 03-22-2010, 04:47 AM
Super Moderator

Good point...

BB.
Unread 07-16-2010, 06:36 AM
Super Moderator

Ok, time for a few more updates.

First, I ditched the gas pedal extension. I kept hitting it when someone did something that forced me to hit the brakes and felt that it just wouldn't do for the track. I put the older aluminum pedal cover back and and bent the gas pedal a bit over to the left. It's a good compromise.

Back in April, I added a few more things. I installed a Track Dog Racing front splitter. Now, I had no illusions that it would do anything for my handling. Rather, I know that the R-package airdam that I have does improve airflow for cooling the engine so I thought that maybe this will help a bit, too. It did seem to be good for a couple degrees of oil temperature. I also found that on the track that suddenly my folding license plate hinge kept getting flipped back, allowing the plate to block off the radiator (and requiring me to buy the factory front plate mount to put the plate back on the front bumper and out of the radiator opening). I don't have any pictures with the new plate location but who cares... that's boring!

So, yeah, I think I have more airflow.

I also put on some spiffy carbon fiber mirrors (complete impulse buy). They actually worked surprisingly well despite being smaller. Unfortunately, I kept having to readjust them because people kept bumping in to them so I had planned on painting them to match the car. I never got to it, though, since a hail storm cracked the reflectors and turned the car into a golf ball.

Deciding that my inaccurate oil pressure gauge had to go (it's disconcerting to be flying down the main straight and reading about 5 psi!) I bought an oil filter sandwich plate and installed an aftermarket gauge in place of the volt meter "blank" I had in my gauge pod. I also installed two idiot lights because, for some reason, Mazda decided that the car didn't need one of those. While in there, I moved the oil temperature sender from the drain plug to the sandwich plate where it'll read a more accurate temperature as well as keeping my oil temp gauge from becoming unplugged while driving in the snow.

I re-installed my Flyin' Miata rear swaybar. I kept the stock bar in because the aftermarket one kept shifting and clunking into the passenger rear spring. I had heard the solution was getting adjustable end links but I wasn't really ready to spend the money on that. I finally got around to it and put it back on. No pictures, though, because it's under the car.

Edit: Scratch that. It clunked again, badly. I looked under the car and the whole swaybar was shifted about 2 inches over and was jammed into the spring. I even had to jack up the car to get it out. I pulled the aftermarket rear bar (again) and stuck OEM one back on. I'm done fighting with this thing.

Lastly, I got a free racing seat from Colin so I installed that along with a 5-point harness. The install wasn't as plug-n-play as I had hoped and I won't be able to use the stock seatbelts with it (meaning that I have to strap into the harness every time I go somewhere! ) so I predict lots of seat-swapping in my future...

So, there you have it. For all intents and purposes, I'm done modifying this car because I have now met my goals with it. That's not to say I won't find other things to do as time goes on, but there is presently nothing left on my "to do" list for it beyond maintenance, repairs, and track days.

BB.

Last edited by BeerBurner : 07-16-2010 at 01:19 PM.
Unread 07-16-2010, 10:18 PM
The safety of quattro

That seat doesn't look bad. You really can't see the hail damage unless you really look, either. I wouldn't have noticed it in person if you hadn't mentioned it. Nice work!
Unread 07-17-2010, 05:10 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks!

BB.
Unread 11-12-2010, 05:08 PM
Super Moderator

Ok, I'm a dirty liar. I mean, really... are we ever done with our cars?

Back in the summer I put some clamps on my rear swaybar which, for the most part, has stopped the shifting so it's back on the car.

I also replaced my Flyin' Miata exhaust with one from Racing Beat. The drone of the FM exhaust did start to get better but then other people were still complaining about it which had me wondering if I was just losing that range of hearing. The new muffler is much nicer all around and saves my ears.

Lastly, in a fit of ergonomic desire, I bought an LED tachometer for the car so that I don't have to take my eyes off the road to know when to shift. It was originally mounted on the base of the instrument cluster but that still wasn't as good as it could have been so I made a base out of sheet aluminum and put it higher up. It's not as asthetically nice but much more functional.

Right now, it's on the default setting of one light per 1k rpm, starting at 1k. I'm trying to decide if I should keep it there or recalibrate it to go in 500 rpm increments starting at 4k. I like knowing that I have the full range but I haven't driven it at night to know if the light will be annoying. Plus, who knows if an LEO will think I have a radar detector. On the flip side, by setting it to come on later I might not be as used to reading it when I'm on the track. I'll figure that one out later...

BB.
Unread 11-12-2010, 06:55 PM

Brian, is the Miata still your daily driver? If so, that is badass. I wish I had a teacher in high school who drove a car with a five point racing harness.
Unread 11-12-2010, 07:09 PM
Super Moderator

Still my daily driver but I don't have the harness in it right now. Between the RA and the fact that it'll be annoying to work with that around a jacket/coat, I've decided to only run the seat/harness during the warmer months. I figure that, during Spring Break, I will swap the seat/harness back in as well as put the track pads/rotors back on.

Still, the kids know and love the cars.

BB.