Welcome to Rideroom, an online automotive community where you can discuss all things related to cars, trucks, motorcycles or any other vehicle you may have.

To gain full access to Rideroom you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Create a Rideroom to showcase your cars, trucks and motorcycles on the main Rideroom site.
  • Give "Props" to rides you like
  • Start a Rideroom Group for your car/truck/bike club
  • Post comments on rides and news stories.
  • Post and reply to topics in the forum
  • Communicate privately with other automotive enthusiasts (PM) on the forum
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

Go Back   Rideroom Forums > General > Articles
FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Unread 02-04-2007, 01:27 PM
Super Moderator

Project Well, I guess this'll be the "944 project" thread!

Yeah, I know, I had planned on buying another 944 as a track flogger. However, I've decided against it for the time-being. Mainly, it's for financial reasons. While I can afford the other car, I don't see my schedule allowing for more than two or so DE's per year, which really doesn't justify the added cost of another car. Add to that I already have most of the basic stuff I need to track the current 944, well... that's kind of a given.

Already, my 944 had a Weltmeister front stressbar, Weltmeister 22 mm adjustable rear swaybar, Autothority chip and 951 rear valance. I also have some OEM 15" phone dial wheels (in desparate need of repainting) and some old Kumho 225/50-15 R-compound tires sitting at my stepmom's in DC. That'll cover the car's runnign shoes.

I recently purchased a Redline "rollbar" that was going to be used for the future car. It's basically a glorified harnessbar that offers a decent amount of rollover protection as well. It mounts to the stock rear seatbelt and rear harness bar mounting points. No, it's not as good as a true rollbar, but it requires no permanent modification (cutting, welding, drilling, etc.) and offers a lot of "better than nothing" protection in DEs/autocrosses where rollbars aren't necessary anyway.

I also just installed a smaller Dino steering wheel. I remember how much those smaller wheels helped in my old Scirocco, so I decided to get it.

Once it warms up, I'll be installing some 951 side skirts that I have lying around, and I have a line on a 951 front swaybar to help balance out my thicker rear bar. Or I may just get a 968 M030 front bar, since I don't want to spend $500 on another Weltmeister one.

Otherwise, I don't plan on doing any significant stuff right away. Mainly, because I'm more interested in mod'ing the driver, but as things wear (and if I decide to continue tracking this car) I'll start upgrading it. If I get real serious, though, I may just buy another one.

In the meantime, I'm preparing to get the rod bearings replaced and installing a trap door in the oil pan. These cars have rod bearing problems on old bearings at the track, so I don't want another engine paperweight quite yet!

I'll keep you guys posted as this minor project progresses...

BB.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg redline76.JPG (59.5 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg redline77.JPG (60.1 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg steeringwheel2.jpg (61.3 KB, 28 views)
"The first step towards gaining self confidence is not being afraid to suck."
Unread 02-05-2007, 07:14 PM
Super Moderator

Update:

A guy on Rennlist has a full set of Koni adjustable shocks and M030 swaybars on his 951 that he may upgrade. If so, I might buy the set from him, using my Weltmeister rear swaybar as partial payment. I won't know about this until summer, tho. It's not something that I had planned to do, but I won't pass up a good deal.

Also, my extra set of 951 sideskirts will arrive tomorrow(?) and I'll try and install them this weekend. I will have almost two complete sets so I will pick and choose between them to find the best parts. Unfortunately, I may have to paint them because my current set has a lot of overspray on them and it might be simpler to just paint them versus trying to clear off the old paint. My only concern is that the trailing edge of these things like to scrape the ground on hard turns. But then, they're black and low-down so it may not be much of a problem in practice.

I will also go for some bling points with my powdercoated red caliper brackets, which should also arrive tomorrow. I ordered these before I decided to track the car, otherwise I wouldn't have bothered. But they're coming and will look good. I don't plan on installing these until at least next month (This kind of work is a bit tight in the garage so I'd rather do it outside when it's a bit warmer) but knowing me I'll just go ahead and do it.

BB.
Unread 02-11-2007, 12:31 PM
Super Moderator

Update: Rocker extensions and powder coated calipers are on!

The caliper brackets were a bit of a pain in the ass because of the way they were designed. It involved lots of banging things with a hammer. But fortunately, they're on and I'm happy with the look!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00013.JPG (60.5 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00016.JPG (61.5 KB, 16 views)
Unread 02-11-2007, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator

The extensions were pretty easy once I got the proper nuts to mount them to the studs on the bottom of the car. Unfortunately, Porsche decided to use a non-standard thread pitch so I ended up getting some RC car nylon nuts from a hobby shop. I did have to do a little tweaking, though, to get them to fit properly. It's not perfect, but good enough. (They're the black things hanging below the rockers.)

All in all, not too shabby for a weekend's work.

BB.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00019.JPG (62.3 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00018.JPG (60.1 KB, 34 views)
Unread 02-11-2007, 12:39 PM
STOP EATING MY SESAME CAKE!

Not bad at all.
On our way back from the beach, we were trying to decide where to eat dinner. At that moment, we were passed by a Rendezvous with the Ohio license plate "ASK GOD." So we did, and we ended up at some shitty Texas roadhouse-style place. Next time, I pick.--AchTTung
Unread 02-11-2007, 12:42 PM
Super Moderator

And a hell of a lot easier than painting them!

Actually, painting them would be pretty easy, too. Cleaning them, on the other hand...

I'm glad how well those extensions fit the style of the car. As usual, keepin' things subtle. They're also good at letting you know when you're hard in a turn as they like to drag on the ground!

BB.
Unread 02-11-2007, 07:15 PM

I think they look better in black anyway; not even worth the hassle to paint them.
On our way back from the beach, we were trying to decide where to eat dinner. At that moment, we were passed by a Rendezvous with the Ohio license plate "ASK GOD." So we did, and we ended up at some shitty Texas roadhouse-style place. Next time, I pick.--AchTTung
Unread 02-11-2007, 08:18 PM
Super Moderator

Actually, I was talking about the calipers.

Although a few of the extension pieces had some paint overspray on them and if I couldn't get it off I was going to paint them. I'd still paint 'em black, though, especially since they like to drag.

BB.
Unread 02-11-2007, 08:35 PM

Yeah, it's kind of pointless to put body colored paint on something that's going to get road rash.
Unread 02-11-2007, 08:49 PM
The safety of quattro

Subtlety is a good thing. That's a fine-looking Porsche.