Welcome to Rideroom, an online automotive community where you can discuss all things related to cars, trucks, motorcycles or any other vehicle you may have.

To gain full access to Rideroom you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Create a Rideroom to showcase your cars, trucks and motorcycles on the main Rideroom site.
  • Give "Props" to rides you like
  • Start a Rideroom Group for your car/truck/bike club
  • Post comments on rides and news stories.
  • Post and reply to topics in the forum
  • Communicate privately with other automotive enthusiasts (PM) on the forum
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

Go Back   Rideroom Forums > General > Articles
FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Unread 01-14-2007, 05:24 PM
Super Moderator

How-to [How-to] Power Inverter Install

Well last weekend I installed the 1000watt inverter, but it just wasn't up to my standards. I had bought a 4AWG amp wiring kit from Best Buy, and it worked-but wasn't 'quality'.

With all my experience with doing various installs on cars, I couldn't let myself leave the cables bare like that. So, I hitup home depot and bought a bunch of wire loom.

When I did the first install, I just drilled a half inch hole in the firewall (through a plastic plate), and left it at that. I had bought a grommet, but it just didn't fit right. Well, this time, I tried again. Here is the one inch hole that I put in there:

and here is an under dash view of the same hole

We whipped out the dremel and a wire brush bit, and cleaned up a nice spot for a ground. That picture didn't quite turn out. My goal was to keep things looking as stock as possible under the hood, which is part of why I wanted the loom. Looking under there and seeing a bright ass cable running across the engine bay just didn't seem right to me. So, now it blends a LITTLE better. The giant pink fuse doesn't help much though.

So now we have the inverter half tucked under the rear seat. We can still BARELY reach back to turn it on and off. Next week I might extend the power switch up into my console or something.

The inverter is used to power our battery chargers and laptop. It was getting to the point where we had the entire floorboard of the truck a cluster of wires and chargers, so yesterday we managed to squeeze them into the storage boxes behind the rear seats.

If there aren't any batteries in the chargers, the door closes and covers the chargers, and we have the flush storage area behind the seats still. It was pretty much win-win for us, asthose storage boxes have been empty since we bought the truck.

Last edited by Revrend : 01-21-2007 at 03:34 PM.
Unread 01-15-2007, 01:31 AM
Oil Burner

looks great, I know who to call if I ever decide to put an inverter in.
Unread 01-15-2007, 07:27 AM
Super Moderator

I can tear apart an F350 pretty quickly ( =
Unread 01-15-2007, 03:49 PM

Wow that came out great.
Unread 01-15-2007, 09:53 PM
Super Moderator

I'll get pictures that show the wiring when I can get the thing cleaned out. It's in big need of a vaccum, but wer are pressed for time for the next few days. The wire only comes out of the trim at one point, and that's past the rear door, right where it goes under the rear seats. If I ever get around to ripping out the seats and mounting it properly, that line

BTW, here is a picture of what I did to the last F350 I worked on. The second shot is of an F750.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img082.jpg (92.8 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg img084.jpg (74.4 KB, 14 views)
Unread 01-20-2007, 09:49 PM
Super Moderator

Well, I replaced the inverter today.

I bought that one on the word of a coworker. He told me that he bought one just like it, and it was going strong for the past 2 years. Mine hasn't worked very well at all. It would start out just well and fine, but as soon as I would turn on the lights, or hit the windows-it would cut out. At first I thought maybe I had a bad ground. The screw I originally used was a very fine threaded screw, so I yanked it out for a coarse thread in a new hole. Figured that would be less likely to wiggle loose. Still had the same problem. All of this was prior to the above install. When we rewired it, I made 100% certain the ground was top notch. I used every trick in the book to make sure it was making proper contact to good metal.

This past week, we've had a cold snap down here. The weirdest thing happened...the inverter wouldn't work before noon. We'd have the truck running, and it would NEVER stay on for more then 2 seconds. Around noon, I'd only be able to run one battery charger at a time. No way in hell was that going to cut it.

So, today I bought a new inverter. It's only 800 watts continuous , but it appears to be much more stable so far. I had it on for a good hour of driving around under various electrical loads, and it appears to be good.

Tomorrow I'll try to get pictures that show more of the wiring that I did, and how it's pretty damned tucked away for 4AWG wiring.

Last edited by Revrend : 01-21-2007 at 02:41 PM.
Unread 01-21-2007, 02:39 PM
Super Moderator

Here are the updated photos.

This is a view of the only part of the wire that's visible. To even see that, you have to look at where the back seat meets the floorboard.

From there the wire goes behinds the drivers side rear seat (picture taken with rear seat folded down as far as possible)

Then behind the passenger side rear seat, where the power wire passes the grounding point (picture taken with rear seat folded down as far as possible)

All said and done, this is the view under the rear seats
Unread 01-21-2007, 02:51 PM
STOP EATING MY SESAME CAKE!

That's pretty freaking clean.
On our way back from the beach, we were trying to decide where to eat dinner. At that moment, we were passed by a Rendezvous with the Ohio license plate "ASK GOD." So we did, and we ended up at some shitty Texas roadhouse-style place. Next time, I pick.--AchTTung
Unread 01-21-2007, 03:31 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks, I did what I could ( =

When I get around to installing the full stereo (just 3k more till the trailer is paid off, then fun time!) I will look for a way to route the wires under the carpet. I'd prefer it to never be visible, even under the seats. Of course our biggest problem is having to have it in a position where we can still turn it off and on from the front seat. This model didn't have a remote turn on option, and I didn't feel like paying $60 more for a model that still required the additional remote. Maybe one day I'll tear it apart and see if their is a way to hack the digital push button turn on..

Oh, and I went through and cropped a few pictures...should make it look a bit better.
Unread 01-25-2007, 06:50 PM
Super Moderator

Hah. It's TOTAL overkill. I found the button that turns the digital display from 'battery voltage' to 'watts used'. With everything I will use plugged in, I was pulling less then 300 watts.