Welcome to Rideroom, an online automotive community where you can discuss all things related to cars, trucks, motorcycles or any other vehicle you may have.

To gain full access to Rideroom you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Create a Rideroom to showcase your cars, trucks and motorcycles on the main Rideroom site.
  • Give "Props" to rides you like
  • Start a Rideroom Group for your car/truck/bike club
  • Post comments on rides and news stories.
  • Post and reply to topics in the forum
  • Communicate privately with other automotive enthusiasts (PM) on the forum
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

Go Back   Rideroom Forums > General > Articles
FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Unread 03-23-2008, 11:49 AM

Project The Project Silverado Thread...

Sorry BB, couldn't think of another thread title so I just stole yours.

As I had stated earlier, my truck was gonna take some changes appearance wise in the form of a new paint job.
  1. Color will be factory, it's called Pewter and is a light tan/brown metallic color.
  2. New grille; Old one was charcoal in color, new one will be a chrome grill from a Tahoe.
  3. Color matching. Black mirrors, bumper cap, and charcoal lower valance will all be Pewter now. All door moldings were removed and not coming back on.
  4. Removing rear bumper and installing roll pan
  5. We are getting a custom Y-Pipe and new cats as well with some electric cut outs for the hell of it too.
  6. My friend who is doing the work is also ghosting his shop logo on the passenger side tailgate corner, it'll be small

Progress so far:

He's pretty much sanded old paint off and fixed all the small dings the bed & cab had.

First picture; if you look closely to the car in the background, it's the same Mustang, I posted photos of in the photo forum. Owner got bored with the 351 in it and they just removed it; What's being dropped in? A 427, I believe the block arrived earlier this week from New York. The car was scary with the 351, I can only see it now.

Another shot of the truck after prep work has been done to it.

I was originally thinking of going with an SS bumper up front, but decided against it as I would have lost my factory fog lights and ram air. Although the truck would have looked pretty neat.

Another picture of the truck, I think I need a bigger intercooloer. The one on there looks to small. He also removed the bed as he wanted to remove some imperfections on the rear of the cab. Yeah he is a perfectionist at this, that's why he is so good.

Back of the truck, he said he drove it around the shop and immediate area and he told me, if you thought it got loose with the bed on, it gets way loose without it. haha Good times at the shop I guess.

Pic of the bed, you can see the lower portion of the bed were he removed the dent it had. I really hated that dent as it not only damaged the bed and bumper, but it made the truck look really tacky. Inside of the bed is not being painted as it has Line-X on it already, which is a spray on bed liner, that's really good!.

We got the new hood in, it's an HD hood, factory these come on the 2500 Silverado HD's, I believe. More aggressive hood, from the factory. He painted it Friday night.

Last pic for the day, truck in the paint booth ready to get painted. You can see the difference in hoods here, stock one on truck and the one that got painted above. Truck should be ready by the end of the month, hopefully.

As of Sunday March 23rd, the cab has been painted however the bed is holding him back. My roll pan which was to arrive earlier this week, did not come in and he cannot continue his work on the bed until it gets here. The dent it had needs the roll pan so that he may align it correctly. I'm praying for it to get here by Monday.
Unread 03-23-2008, 12:23 PM

needs more 5 spoke, other than that it looks very nice
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of themselves without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant; If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven. Such is the rule of honor. - Randy Blythe, Omerta, Lamb of God...
Unread 03-23-2008, 12:31 PM
Super Moderator

That's looking really sharp H. I should look into getting my mirrors and door handles painted...
Unread 03-23-2008, 12:38 PM

I, on the other hand, really like the wheels.
Unread 03-23-2008, 02:18 PM

You did change the Fuel Pump when you went 6.0/SC right? If not now is a VERY good time to do so.
Unread 03-23-2008, 04:08 PM

still my favorite truck, hugo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revrend
I should look into getting my mirrors and door handles painted...
i've wanted to have my car's mirrors and handles matched, but i can't justify it on that car. it's definitely a subtle way to really improve the overall look, though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natheo
agreed. 5 spoke can suck a dick!

gots the zoom zooms.

Unread 03-23-2008, 04:47 PM

Tub the bed and narrow the axle since it is off anyways?
Unread 03-23-2008, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revrend View Post
That's looking really sharp H. I should look into getting my mirrors and door handles painted...
Yeah it's the small things that make a car/truck look really nice, like simple color matching. I hated the black handles on my truck, luckily GM makes color matched handles with a chrome handle, that you can buy. They put them on the classier vehicles like the escalade, that's where mine came from. He re-painted them as well, so that they would match up with the paint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natheo View Post
Thanks, the wheels will be staying, I love them and everyone and their mother has 5 spoke wheels on these trucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwdave View Post
You did change the Fuel Pump when you went 6.0/SC right? If not now is a VERY good time to do so.
Fuel pump was taken care of, when we swapped to the 6.0; actually it was a bitch to swap as we had to drop the tank, since it's in the fuel tank. The sender was bad, so I always had issues with my needle reading empty. There's a high performance walbro pump in there now. The SC also came with an external pump that is mounted in the frame rail.

Still need to upgrade my rear end, thinking truetrac, I hate my peg legged burnouts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afi_ninja_SWEET View Post
still my favorite truck, hugo.
[/i]
Thanks Dude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcard View Post
Tub the bed and narrow the axle since it is off anyways?
Tubbing it would be pretty cool, but it's still my DD. My friend was thinking a different route, like bagging it. haha Not my style though.
Unread 03-23-2008, 05:55 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91CamaroRS
Sorry BB, couldn't think of another thread title so I just stole yours.
That's ok, as long as I can collect royalties on every reply to this thread.

Hey, look, another reply!

Anyway, cool project!

BB.
"The first step towards gaining self confidence is not being afraid to suck."
Unread 03-23-2008, 07:11 PM

it'll look awesome sans door moldings...but now you'll have to park in the way back of lots, nothing to protect against dings. :P

love the rims too.