I wrote this up a while ago but figured it'd be appropriate here.
I decided that I wanted to buy myself a little present, and the Moss spoiler would be it! And as long as I was doing this, I’d do a write-up on my experiences with it, since my searches have yielded a lot of questions on this matter. While I have done some body work in the past, I am by no means a professional, so I have no doubt there are better ways of doing this than what I’ve done. This is just my trial-n-error (well, mostly “error”, I think!) approach.
This will also be written “blog style”, since I have been updating this on a word document as I’ve been going along so that I don’t forget any details.
I received my Moss spoiler and, like some other has mentioned, was somewhat disappointed with the finish of it. There were scratches and whatnot in it that needed sanding out. Additionally, I also read about this spray that was on there which made it difficult for paint to adhere to. I could see some form of black overspray on the double-sided tape on the underside, and some other…..stuff….flaking off the underside.
I also ordered some paint from www.automotivetouchup.com
. This is the automotive paint that is packaged in your typical spray paint can. I’ve never used it before but figured it was worth the shot, especially since the $20 for the paint and $10 for the clear coat would be a lot easier and cheaper than chasing down a quart of paint, some more clear coat and then a paint sprayer. After my order, I was a bit concerned when I realized that the shop was in New Orleans. I contacted them and they assured me that it was good to go. It took a little longer than the 2-3 days it mentioned on the website to ship, but I got it less than two weeks after the order, so no complaints.
For prepping the spoiler, I gathered up the following items:
* 220 grit sandpaper
* 400 grit sandpaper
* scouring sponge
* two rags
* two 22 oz. Bottles of Yuengling Lager
I first sanded the entire spoiler with the 220 grit paper, and then the 400 grit. I used one rag as a coushion on the ground so that I could stand the spoiler on end without scratching it. I wet the second rag and began to wipe the dust off. During this, I noticed that the water “fisheyed” in certain areas, and I decided to assume that this was the result of more of that sprayed on surface that the paint wouldn’t like. I used more sand paper on the fisheyes until they were mostly gone. I would then follow it up with the scouring sponge which removed even more of the surface. In fact, I might have been able to do everything with that sponge. But I scrubbed away, figuring that, when in doubt, scrub some more.
Beer is consumed as needed.
Once I got rid of all the water fisheyes, I wiped down the spoiler again and began the longest part of this project. Since it is now late November, I most likely missed the window for good painting weather. However, since it is all prepped, I can quickly hop to work should the weather be cooperative.
And, as luck would have it, it only took two days before the weather became cooperative. I had purchased an outdoor thermometer and humidity gauge to keep in the garage to track the conditions, and the conditions appeared good!
I purchased two shelving brackets to make a painting stand. One side of the bracket was screwed to the board, while the other side had the end bent ninety degrees and screwed into the two screw holes on the underside of the spoiler. I had originally planned on hanging it, but I felt that this way was better.